Évora e Alkmaar
Granada, Bari, Celje, Ujpest, Ioannina, Hvidovre
POCITYF is a smart city-oriented project, whose major goal is to deliver a set of Positive Energy Blocks – a limited geographic area whose average local renewable generation is greater than its consumption – in the Lighthouse cities of Evora (PT) and Alkmaar (NL) and their Fellow cities Granada (ES), Bari (ΙΤ), Celje (SI), Ujpest (HU), Ioannina (GR) and Hvidovre (DK).
With the creation of Positive Energy Blocks and Districts, POCITYF aims to transform those cities’ mixed-urban environments, with a strong emphasis on cultural and historical protected areas, into cheaper, healthier, more accessible and reliable spaces for their citizens. In one word, to improve, in a sustainable and citizen-driven manner, the wellbeing in the 7 mentioned cities.
To achieve that, POCITYF will deploy a total of 10 integrated solutions, comprising 73 individual innovative elements (technologies, tools, methods), rooted under existing City Information Platforms. The project will be carried out along 4 Energy Transition Tracks (ETT), namely:
- ETT#1: tackling the transformation of existing and new building stock into energy positive;
- ETT#2: focusing on the application of grid flexibility strategies and storage systems, supported by DSM platforms for optimizing energy flows to maximize self-consumption and reduce grid stress;
- ETT#3: addressing the integration of e-Mobility to promote the decarbonisation of the mobility sector and alleviate inner-city traffic;
- ETT#4: as an enabling layer of the above transition tracks, this intends to offer inclusive and holistic services for interdisciplinary citizen engagement and cocreation strategies with the city stakeholders and industry, towards the development of each city’s own bold city-vision up to 2050.
Overall, POCITYF will therefore add layers of smartness in key city infrastructures, technologies and services (i.e. buildings, energy grid, e-mobility), creating new possibilities to make cities safer, greener and more responsive to the needs of their citizens, businesses and other organizations.
- Led by NEW R&D/EDP Labelec
- Consortium formed by 46 partners from 13 countries: Portugal, Spain, Italy, Germany, Greece, The Netherlands, Slovenia, Hungary, Denmark, Finland, Austria, Belgium and Switzerland
In the Lighthouse cities of:
- Évora, Portugal
- Alkmaar, The Netherlands
The 10 integrated solutions will be developed, tested and monitored. These cities will act as exemplars by helping fellow cities to plan and initiate the replication of the deployed solutions.
In the Fellow cities of:
- Granada, Spain
- Bari, Italy
- Celje, Slovenia
- Ujpest, Hungary
- Ioannina, Greece
- Hvidovre, Denmark
Part of the solutions tested in the Lighthouse cities will be replicated, accordingly to their specific contexts. Replication plans will be developed during the course of POCITYF.
NEW R&D / EDP Labelec’s scope
NEW R&D/EDP Labelec will be the project coordinator of POCITYF. It will also be:
- One of the major actors in Évora demonstration activities, both grid and market-related, for instance:
- Assist in the integration distribution grid tools
- Act as operator of local energy market
- Simulate market participation with buildings-flexibility
- The responsible for the Work Package on clustering and coordination with smart city initiatives and partnerships
- An active contributor to the initial definition of POCITYF framework and solutions’ requirements, citizen engagement strategies and business models across circular and sharing economy