6 members states
PivotBuoy is a demonstration project aims at reducing the Levelised Cost of Energy (LCoE) of floating wind by 50%.
This will be achieved by developing the PivotBuoy, an innovative single-point mooring system that enables faster and cheaper installation and a more reliable and sustainable operation.
Moreover, the PivotBuoy concept will be tested and validated using a 225kW wind turbine in a relevant environment, the PLOCAN microgrid in the Canary islands.
PivotBuoy will study the scalability, replicability and application to other substructures and floating platforms by assessing the social, environmental and economic impact.
- Led by X1 Wind
- NEWR&D/ Labelec leads work of LCOE Assessment, socio-economic impact & exploitation plan
- Validation and testing of a part-scale prototype in a relevant environment (PLOCAN test site), validating the benefits of single-point mooring (SPM) systems;
- Assessment of cost reductions resulting from the PivotBuoy technology;
- Minimization of environmental impact with a smaller mooring footprint, lower noise compared to catenary systems and reduction of life-cycle emissions;
- Study of scalability, replicability and application to other substructures.