WHO WE ARE
Operating in 16 countries and 4 continents, we are a global energy company engaged in electricity and gas production, transport, distribution and trading. We have 12,000 employees in Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Poland, Greece, Romania, Brazil, USA, Angola, Belgium, UK, Canada, Peru, Mexico, and China. With over 11 million customers, we are at the forefront of innovation and renewable energies, and we have recently committed to even more ambitious clean energy targets.
We make the energy of tomorrow - today.
We want to create value in the various areas in which we operate.
We aim to improve the quality of life of current and future generations.
We build genuine and trusting relationships with our employees, customers, partners, and local communities.
In March 2019 the Group announced its new Strategic Plan with the main goals and targets to be achieved by 2030.
An energy transition strategy based on three pillars: decarbonization, digitalization and decentralization.
- >90% production from renewable sources
- 90% specific emissions reduction
- 100% coal-free
- 4M photovoltaic panels installed
- 1M customers with electric mobility solutions
- 100% smart grids in the Iberian market
Delivering on our commitments to shareholders; leading through the ability to anticipate and execute; demanding excellence.
Taking on environmental responsibilities; contributing to developing the regions where we operate;
Reducing gas emissions; actively championing energy efficiency
Staying focused on customers; making sure we listen to their concerns; responding simply and transparently; surprising them and anticipating their needs.
Combining an ethical and rigorous conduct with enthusiasm and initiative; encouraging teamwork; investing in competence and merit;
Promoting a balance between professional and personal life.
With management teams spread over several countries, EDP is headed by an Executive Committee consisting of 9 members.
Our global team comprises 11,500 workers:
- Portugal 5.857
- Brazil 3.153
- Spain 1.682
- USA 616
- France 86
- United Kingdom 58
- Italy 34
- Poland 32
- Romania 31
- Mexico 8
- Canada 6
- China 2
- Belgium 2
- Peru 1
Number of nationalities of EDP workers: 44
Percentage of women working in the group: 25%
OUR GLOBAL ACTIVITY
The energy produced by EDP reaches the four corners of the world.
We are a vertically integrated multinational utility. Throughout our 40-year history we have built a relevant presence in the global energy landscape. Find out where we are and what we do in each business area.
Origin of our energy:
- 68% from renewable sources
- 41% Wind
- 32% Hydric
- 14% CCGT
- 12% Coal
- 1% other
What we do:
Total installed capacity: 27,151 MW
Electricity production: 347
Transmission network under construction 1,186 km network in operation 113 km
Overall network length 340.166 km [Portugal, Spain, and Brazil]
[Overhead lines 285.982 km Underground lines 54,184 km]
Electricity customers: 9,807,925 gas customers: 1.593.408
The EDP group's financial results reflect the effort and investment made in its various business areas and regions.
These activities are detailed in our quarterly, half-yearly and annual reports.
- Turnover: €M15.278.085
- Net result: €M876.081 (+3%)
- EBITDA: 3.317 M€ (-17%)
- Operating investment: M€2,031 (+18%)
- Expansion investment: M€1,349 (+37%)
- Renewable Energy 65%
- Networks 24%
Customer solutions and energy management 11%
See the 2019 Annual Report and Accounts for all figures.
We implement solutions and practices that help protect the environment and build a more sustainable future.
At the same time, we also seek to break cycles of social exclusion and contribute to a society that is more effective and efficient in building its own sustainability. These efforts have earned our group prominent positions in major global sustainability indexes, such as the Dow Jones Index.
- A leading company in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index with 90 points [100 points in 9 criteria - 2 more than in 2018 - in the environmental, economic and social areas]
- 23% specific CO2 emissions in 2018
- 951 GWh saved by customers in energy services (+89%)
- 35% of our customers use electronic invoices
- 8,795 customers of electric mobility solutions
DID YOU KNOW THAT…
EDP is a universe that goes well beyond its business activities and seeks to bring energy to various communities and activities. Besides being engaged in promoting culture and sports, the company supports organizations and grassroots campaigns that aim at the well-being of all and at a better, more sustainable world.
- €28 million were invested in volunteering
- 2,066 organizations have benefited from EDP's support
- 3,026 volunteers were involved in the company's charity initiatives last year,offering more than 31,000 hours to these campaigns
- Over 32,800 employees have been involved in the company's volunteer program since 2011