The appropriate energy solutions for the different markets in which EDP operates require a simultaneous response to a number of challenges:
- Market liberalization in the context of increasingly globalized, competitive, and regulated economies;
- Worldwide growing energy demand and the ensuing need for innovation and optimized resource management;
- Greater scrutiny from society regarding social and environmental management;
- The need to reduce the company's ecological footprint and to cooperate in fighting both climate change and biodiversity loss around the world;
- The need to strengthen the trust of various stakeholders in corporate governance systems.
In order to meet these challenges, EDP has established a set of sustainable development principles to be applied in different areas:
1. Economic and social value
- To continuously create value for shareholders.
- To improve resource use efficiency and reduce risk exposure.
- To improve the company's competitiveness, in particular by providing top-notch services and anticipating customer expectations and needs.
- To integrate environmental and social aspects into planning and decision-making processes.
- To contribute to improving the quality of life of local communities.
2. Eco-efficiency and environmental protection
- To promote the use of renewable energy sources and of cleaner and more efficient energy technologies.
- To improve consumers' energy efficiency.
- To manage the impact of the company's activities by seeking a positive environmental balance.
- To actively contribute to environmental and biodiversity conservation.
- To improve environmental management practices across the value chain.
- To promote innovation and creativity while seeking new market opportunities and process improvements.
- To implement collaborative practices in all design, production and service delivery stages.
- To support energy-related research, technological development and knowledge management.
4. Integrity and good governance
- To comply with legal requirements and ethical/deontological standards.
- To respect and promote human rights in our sphere of influence.
- To ensure participatory, competent and ethical governance practices.
5. Transparency and dialogue
- To ensure an open and trustful relationship with all stakeholders.
- To create communication channels for all stakeholders and to take their contributions and expectations into account.
- To report the company's economic, environmental and social performance in a transparent and objective way.
Stakeholder Relationship Policy
EDP's objectives are to build and strengthen relationships of trust, to share knowledge and relevant information, to anticipate challenges and identify new opportunities for cooperation with our Stakeholders.
6. People & diversity
- To promote integrity, rigor, individual responsibility and teamwork while encouraging diversity.
- To promote the development of employees' skills and to recognize excellence and merit.
- To improve the health, safety and well-being of all employees.
- To reject abusive and discriminatory practices, ensuring equal opportunities.
- To promote employee satisfaction and motivation.
7. Energy access
- To promote access to quality energy in a reliable and safe way.
- To adapt the company's commercial policies to each market's social specificities.
- To ensure equal access to energy and energy systems.
8. Social development and citizenship
- To promote social innovation while maximizing the activity's positive social impact.
- To support social and cultural initiatives based on transparent evaluation criteria focusing on the social return of invested resources.
- To cooperate in the development of sustainable societies.
- By laws
- Code of Ethics and Conduct
- Executive Board of Directors Regulation
- CGS Regulation
- CMF/CAUD Regulation
- CVEN Regulation