NEW - New Energy World
To see this content you need to accept the site's cookies.
Mission and Vision
To create sustainable value for EDP and CTG through collaborative R&D in the energy sector.
We work in areas of mutual interest for both companies and adopt an integrated approach in our projects to encourage an efficient use of resources and explore complementary knowledge. This strong collaboration is paramount for the success of our projects.
To be a world class corporate R&D centre in the energy sector.
We aim to progressively become a reference in the energy sector by consistently participating in early stages of technology and knowledge development and by executing our projects with excellence. Our projects are focused in key priority areas for both shareholders:
- Energy Storage and Energy Management
- Smart Grids
- Flexibility of Hydro and Thermal Assets
- Offshore Wind
NEW’s priority areas are based on EDP’s and CTG’s core competences and innovation priorities, but also the potential impact of each area in transforming the energy sector. Know our projects.
There are two R&D centres – Lisbon and Shanghai – which work in close collaboration through a Cooperation Agreement with the shared goal of strengthening the innovation ecosystem in both companies.
We intend to pave our way towards a world class R&D Centre covering a wide range of projects spread across our four foundation areas:
- Energy Storage and Energy Management
- Smart Grids and Digitalization
- Flexibility in Energy Systems
- Renewable Energy.
We have flagged several topics for projects that we believe are going to have a great impact on the energy sector in the future, such as: small scale storage; large scale storage; demand side management; renewable integration; energy aggregators; new energy markets design and business models.
To carry out our ambition we adopted a project-based structure which suits our concept of NEW R&D Centre, allowing a swift approach to project implementation. Notwithstanding, synergies among the projects are explored, and the energy sector as a whole is our background scope and therefore continually surveyed.
To implement the flagged topics, Lisbon and Shanghai centres both actively pursue opportunities in competitive R&D Funds available in Europe and China respectively, in addition to internal funding.
The Lisbon Centre mainly focuses on EU’s Horizon 2020 R&D framework program but also on Portugal’s funding framework for economic development.
Our competences and team
Our team has a broad knowledge in the energy sector:
- Strong background in key areas of engineering as well as in management and business administration
- State-of-the-art knowledge and experience in hydro, thermal and renewable energy technologies and energy markets
- Skilled personnel in both laboratory and engineering functions
- Extensive experience in project development and execution, operation and management
- Leadership in innovation in smart grids, not only in terms of technology but also implementation and management
On the other hand we have distinctive infrastructures:
- Asset basis which includes a diversified generation portfolio comprising conventional and renewable, with an overall installed capacity of 22 GW, generating 60.2TWh in 2014, of which 72% comes from wind and hydro plants.
- Distribution grid with Smart Grid deployment through a smart grid project called InovGrid. It was first deployed in the municipality of Évora (EDP’s Inovcity) in 2010 and it has been extended to other cities across Portugal.
- Laboratorial infrastructure facilities, where consulting/ testing services in the field of electricity (from production to consumption, energy transport, energy distribution, energy efficiency, renewable energies, metering / smart metering, etc.) are performed.
NEW R&D also draws on anchor partnerships with Portuguese/European and Chinese Universities and R&D Centres. Further partnerships with top tier academic actors are pursued on an on-going basis.
As we embrace further challenges and consolidate NEW’s position within the energy sector worldwide, we expect to increase our team and expanding our competences
Contact us through this form: